Dental Procedures that are more involved and are needed to restore the dentition to its proper physiologic and esthetic state are considered to be specialized services. Some of these services are listed below with a generalized prescription. Cosmetic services are also considered to be specialized services.
- Alveoloplasty: The removal of excess or unwanted bone tissue.
- Brigdes: A fixed prosthetic that is placed to fill in the space of a missing or extracted tooth. In order to place a bridge the adjacent teeth to the empty space need to be shaped and reduced in size to allow for proper placement of a bridge.
- Dental Crowns: Most commonly known as a cap, is a fixed prosthetic that protects a tooth from fracturing when a major part of the tooth is decayed or broken. In many cases a crown is needed after a root canal therapy is completed.
- Dental Bone Augmentation: The addition of synthetic or cadaver bone in an extraction site for preservation, or areas where addition of bone is necessary before placing an implant. Sometimes this is needed in the front for better esthetic results in combination with veneers or crowns.
- Root Canal Therapy: The treatment of an infected nerve inside the tooth in which all the canals within the root of a tooth will be cleaned, shaped and filled with a biocompatible material.
- Dental Implants: Titanium rods that are placed in the jaw bone where a tooth is missing to restore the space for a crown to be placed or to anchor a loose denture. Implants vary in size and length and our Las Vegas Dentist will determine which works best for you. Depending on the type of implant prices may vary as well. Be aware that with implants there is a chance of failure and oral hygiene is extremely important in the longevity of the implant.
- Dentures: A partial or full denture is needed to replace missing teeth. It consists of mostly acrylic material and plastic teeth with the addition of metal base and clasps in case of a partial denture. There are many types of dentures with many different prices in the market which varies according to the material, techniques and lab technician used to construct the denture.
- Scaling & Root Planting (SRP): Often wrongfully known as a deep cleaning, this is a treatment for the gums and the underlying bone. By cleaning the root surfaces of the teeth under the gum line the gums will heal and the bone deterioration will stop. This procedure is done to prevent further bone loss and damage in the presence of periodontal disease. This treatment must be followed with every 3 months of periodontal maintenance or the disease will return. Keep in mind there is no cure for periodontal disease. Prevention and maintenance is the key.
- TMJ Treatment: The jaw joint or temporo-mandibular Joint (TMJ) can be affected by arthritis, bad occlusion and habits such as ice chewing or excess gum chewing, etc. Clicking and popping of the jaw joint is very common and must be addressed to prevent further damage and if painful in severe cases treated more aggressively. The joint can also get locked in an open or closed position. Physical therapy if often the treatment of choice along with custom mouth guards. In severe cases surgery may be necessary. The disease of the TMJ is referred to as temporomandibular disorders or TMD.